Wednesday, December 12, 2007

We can learn from the Western work culture

It is now a little over a month since I joined my current company. Although there have been the usual frustrations in having so many things to learn in a totally new and alien industry, it has been exhilarating. More importantly, there has been one aspect of the work life here that I have come to appreciate: The Western work culture. It is probably because the majority of my colleagues are Westerners. But they have brought with them many elements of the kind of working culture that we here in Malaysia - and Asia as a whole - would do well to adopt.

There are too many to list down in detail, and I really do not want to exceed my lunch break with this blog entry, so let the four main ones that come to mind suffice for today, fair readers.


Communicate well!

I realise I have been away from a working environment where English is well-used... or maybe I have not actually worked in an environment where English is well-used!. And here, I must emphasise the word 'well' here. I have worked in local offices of multi-national corporations where English is supposed to be the working language. Yet, I have found the standard of English utterly atrocious - to the point where documents and written correspondences are barely readable, and presentations so incomprehensible that the speaker may as well be conversing in Ancient Greek (no disrespect intended to the Greeks). But where I am now, people use English, and they use it well. And it encourages the locals - no matter how poor their English may be when they start off - to use the language well.

No, I am not saying that English is a language superior to any other (and damn if I do, because it is not even my mother tongue!). What I am saying is that with the effective use of the working language of choice, communication lines are smooth and unambiguous (that's the word for it!), documents are comprehensible, and people are confident enough to use the language such that they are never afraid to speak up.


Speak up!

On the subject of never being afraid to speak up, the employees here never hesitate to take the initiative to present their opinions and ideas (from fear of being shot down, or labelled as brown-nosers). There is none of the "it's not my department, so why should I stick my head out?" or "better I keep my mouth shut, lest the problem falls on my lap" attitudes so prevalent in local work cultures. Everyone gets to contribute ideas, and everyone does so unreservedly. Meetings are conducted regularly, and everyone is encouraged - and expected - to speak and contribute.

And even if there is disagreement towards any ideas presented, they are done so in a professional manner; people explain to you why your ideas may not work, instead of giving you the "shut up, you big-mouthed moron" evil eye.

People are the most important asset to any organisation. And what good are the people, if they do not - or worse, cannot - communicate their ideas, the jewels of their mind? Fear to communicate can be most discouraging and paralysing to one's psyche... and one's career.


Work smart!

The culture of sticking around late in the office just for the sake of clocking hours is non-existent here. From my first day of work, my boss told me, "Mark, do your work and do it well. And unless you have pressing issues to handle that require you to stay back, just leave by 5:30pm. Don't stick around trying to look busy." There is no room for flower vases here. People come into the office early, do real work, and aim to leave on time. There is no point is wasting your time sitting at your desk till the sun goes down when you are not being productive, just so your boss can see you. As far as he is concerned, you are wasting company electricity from the additional lighting and air-conditioning.


Respect one another!

People treat each other with respect. They greet each other along the corridor. They say "please" and "thank you". They smile. They accept you as individuals. They embrace diversity in cultures, and mindsets. And they never make you feel uncomfortable at the workplace - ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.