Monday, December 10, 2007

A time for freedom and solitude (Part 2)

A year ago, I wrote about how frustrated I felt about those around me occasionally taking me for a helpless invalid and how, as a result, I tend to appreciate and enjoy my time alone, away from the crowd.

Well, a year later, little has changed.

Recently, someone asked me why I did not enlist the help of friends to set up my newly-purchased furniture from IKEA. My terse response: If I had to do that, I may as well put on a blouse and skirt, break both my arms and legs, and sit in a wheelchair. For Heaven's sake, IKEA furniture is designed to be assembled by an idiot with ease. Do I look that incapable to you? I apologise if I sound sexist and egotistical, but there are just some things a guy can and should do by himself.

I am tired of people who ask me to speed up when I slow down to tie my shoelaces, yet tell me to relax when I am doing things fast in order to save everyone some precious time. Fast and slow is relative - so, who gave you the mandate to set the standard for me to follow, anyway?

I am aware that I have an eccentric sense of humour that sometimes border on buffoonery. So, does that automatically mean I am an imbecile? Must I ruffle myself up, and look and sound all serious an intelligent?

One thing I have slowly and painfully learnt is that when I try too hard to listen to and follow other people's standards, I stumble and fall. So today, I live by my own standards. I go at my own pace. I make my own eccentric decisions. I listen to my own instincts. And I have found that when I do so, I am seldom wrong. And if I do fall, I take the aches and pains myself. No quarter taken, none given. I do not need your sympathy. I only need you to respect me enough to let me do things my way. For if I could not govern my own decisions, actions and destiny, then what self-respect do I deserve?

So, for those of you who wish to impose your views and standards on me, here's my reply: Go f**k yourself.

No comments: