Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My passport photographs

The Malaysian Immigration office has a policy of not allowing passport applicants to use the same photograph as the one used their previous passport. I venture to guess the reason is that there would have been facial changes due to ageing over the five-year period of the passport's validity.

This morning, I had my Malaysian International Passport renewed at the Subang Airport Terminal branch. The lady at the counter almost refused to accept the photograph I provided, claiming that it looked identical to the one on my now-expired passport. I had a bit of a hard time convincing her that "yes, I am wearing an identical-coloured jacket and tie as the one in photograph on my old passport" and "no, I took this photograph only last weekend, the one in my old passport dates back to the year 2002... do you not notice how I have aged?"

Apparently, she really did not notice that I had aged. So, I still look like a 27-year-old. How flattering... considering I look like a half-asleep thug in my new passport photograph.

No comments: