Monday, September 10, 2007

I love the night

I love the night.

As a student, both in high school and university, my bedroom would never be flooded by the light shining from the overhead fluorescent tube. No, I would prefer to study under the luminescence of just one spotlight shining over my desk, or relax with just the bedside light on.

Even as a yuppie working in Penang back in the early 2000's (yes, I am that old!), I used to enjoy the evening hikes up the nearby Bukit Jambul hill after work. The pleasure of standing up on the summit and watching the sun disappear beneath the horizon of the distant Pulau Jerejak island, with the lights from the town below. And then, there is the hike down the hill through the forest track in the dark, with only a torchlight to light up the way. Most cringe in fear - wild predatory animals, attackers, ghosts, you name it . But somehow, I always derived a certain sense of peace and serenity walking through the forest at night.

Paradoxically, my love for the night stems from that feeling that I actually feel more secure and protected by the blanket of the darkness... as opposed to feeling visible, naked and exposed by the vulgar sights and sounds of the daytime that so disturb the urban soul.

Ironically, I have never been a nightlife guy. You will never catch me in a pub or discotheque, drinking beer and dancing till 3am. But I am outdoors after hours, chances are you will find me in a jazz club - sipping coffee or port with a slice of chocolate cake, and losing myself in the enchanting and romantic world of soothing swing/Latin-style jazz standards. And yes, the jazz club will be very dimly-lit.

I love the night.

No comments: