Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cole Porter's "In the Still of the Night"

Up until last month, I did not think that any other song could carry so haunting a melody, and so touching and melancholic a lyric, as Alec Wilder's "Moon and Sand" and Billy Strayhorn's "Lush Life".

I was at No Black Tie (a jazz club downtown Kuala Lumpur) with a friend. It was my first time watching Rachel Guerzo's quintet performing. The group gave a fine selection of soothing swing and Latin standards. All the songs set the mood for the evening... but one song stood out, and completely blew me away to Neverland.

So captivated was I by the song, that I just sat rooted to my seat, just letting the notes of the melody, dancing atop the bossanova beat in the background, penetrate the very depths of my soul, swaying me from side to side in lovestruck drunken stupor.

I append below only the lyrics of this enchanting song, and I leave it to my readers to seek out a recording of the song on their own (and believe me, they are legion!).

Quote: "The song itself is seduction music of a very high order, with a melody in the verse that insinuates itself into the heart of the listener through rhythmic repetition and a melody in the bridge that soars over every possible objection to ask and answer the question "do you love me?" " ~ All Music Guide

In the Still of the Night
Music & Lyrics by Cole Porter (1937)

In the still of the night
As I gaze from my window
At the moon in its flight
My thoughts all stray to you

In the still of the night
All the world is in slumber
All the times without number
Darling when I say to you

Do you love me, as I love you
Are you my life to be, my dream come true
Or will this dream of mine fade out of sight
Like the moon growing dim, on the rim of the hill
In the chill, still, of the night

Like the moon growing dim, on the rim of the hill
In the chill, still, of the night

No comments: