Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A time for freedom and solitude

Have you ever been in that stage of your life where you feel so stifled, where you feel as if you have no freedom, that day after day your life is being controlled, that your whole identity and individuality has been taken from you, and that you are no longer free to do things you want to do and go places you want to go... without having to report to others and be accountable to them - even though it's none of their concern?

A couple of words from someone close to me reminded me - once again - of how I once had some semblance of that freedom. And it made me angry at that person.

I am tired of having to report to people on what I do everyday, as if I might fall into some manhole on the road anytime. I am tired of people being overly-concerned about my welfare, and having to guide me on every God-forsaken path as if I am some helpless invalid without eyes, ears or a brain. I am tired of people who do not understand the concept of privacy, and never seem to know how to knock on doors before entering. I am tired of people misconstruing my occasional comic buffoonery for sheer idiocy, not being able to use what little brain power they have to be able to differentiate between humour and stupidity.

By all means, lend me a helping hand when I plead for it. But when the overdose of concern and attention goes beyond that line where it is neither helpful nor appreciated, kindly respect my need for individuality and leave me alone. At 32 years of age, a good set of limbs, a functioning brain and 17 years of my life spent in school, I think it is fair to assume that I will not walk off some cliff like some mindless lemming.

There - I think I have successfully earned my place in the non-gratia list of some of my beloved friends and readers. If reading it offends you so, then go play somewhere else, where you do not have to face such a spiteful brat.

My rant for the day. I think I'm done. Good night.

No comments: