Friday, September 16, 2011

What happened to the fine art of Euphemism?

A: Would you like to attend <some event that is guaranteed to be so boring, you would want to cut your wrists just to pit yourself out of misery>?

B: I think I am washing my hair.

A: Wahhh... you wash hair take so long time one, meh?

Okay... somebody here seriously needs some lessons in euphemisms and sarcasm. The above example may not really have happened. But believe me, I have heard of / read about very similar episodes in real life.

These are what I call “potong steam” (Malay: Lit. cut off the steam, or kill-joy) responses to really cheeky one-liners that were meant to be funny – not taken literally or seriously. And I’ve read quite a few such singularly obtuse responses on Facebook recently. It just takes all the fun out of dry wit. I really feel like wringing the buggers’ throats and saying, “Which part of the joke don’t you get?” Come to think of it, if you have to even ask the question, then the exercise of explaining it is futile in itself. Perhaps it’s a language thing, no two ways about it.

Neil Humphreys even devoted one chapter of his book “Notes from an Even Smaller Island” to this. I couldn’t agree more. These sad sods need to stop taking things so literally, and get a life.

No comments: