Sunday, April 13, 2008

A near brush with Death

It is one thing to read or hear about the inherent dangers of extreme sports such as rock-climbing. It is quite another thing to personally experience it yourself, and yet be lucky enough to escape – not only with your life, but also with your limbs relatively intact.

I had such an experience over the recent weekend, during what should have been just another regular outdoor excursion to Batu Caves“Damai Wall”. While attempting to clip-in at the third bolt of a 6a route, my lack of jurisprudence in selecting a secure foothold caused my left foot to suddenly slip without warning. My belayer suffered severe rope-burn, and I free-fell 5-6 metres to the ground.

Upon hitting the ground with a thud, the first thing I instinctively did was to stand up. I guess it was my mind telling me to do confirm that yes, I was still alive.

By God’s grace, I was spared the very real possibilities of broken limbs, concussion or paralysis. The ground underfoot was grass on soft wet ground. I also miraculously landed on my most well-endowed and least damageable part of my body – my big fat ass. Of course, some degree of collateral damage was to be expected – I suffered lacerations on my left knee and right ankle, and I believe I may have baldy bruised my right ankle.

One of the veteran climbers on-site whom I recounted the event to, told me that I was, to date, the third casualty of that particular route. The first casualty slipped off the fourth bolt and crashed to the ground, but also escaped unscathed. The second casualty was the result of an overly-short rope length (he used a 50m rope on a route that was over 25m in height*), causing him to plummet 10 metres to the ground, and landing him in hospital.

Some degree of reflection on increased safety awareness, be it during rock-climbing or daily activities in general, is called for here. But it is also a time for some degree of reflection on Life, to be thankful to God that I was spared the loss of it, and to appreciate all that it has to offer.

* The theoretical minimum required rope length is twice the height of the route. An additional 5m as a minimum is required for tie-in purposes.

No comments: