Monday, November 06, 2006

Hobbies

Every guy should have a hobby. An interest. A passion. Something that defines him as an individual. Something that, in moments of solitude - or an acute need for solitude - he fall back onto. That all-consuming activity that he can immerse himself in, drawing boundless energy and satisfaction from it, lost in time and space.

I once expounded this theory to a close friend (who - surprise, surprise - is on my Friendster list... you know who you are!). We both concluded that a guy without any hobbies or passions of his own is in a fragile state. This is especially so if his life centres solely around his other half. Don't get me wrong - I am not implying that a guy with a soulmate is a weakling, or that he should be any less loyal to that lucky lady. What I mean is that while a guy plays the role of being that special half of a whole (and wholesome relationship), he is, at the same time, an individual.

For want of a better analogy: Jackie Chan did not aspire to be the replacement Bruce Lee; he aspired to be the first Jackie Chan. Neither do I think Sean Penn (then) was flattered to be known as Mr. Madonna; I think he much prefers to be known as himself, and not some appendage to his (ex-)wife.

Okay, okay... every rant and seemingly thought-provoking blog of mine has some event behind it, and this one is not exception. I have been neglecting my hobbies for way too long, being all consumed by the maelstorm we call work. Over the past couple of weeks, I have gotten back into serious rock-climbing (I will clear that God-forsaken overhanging beam, even if I have to lose more skin from my fingers!) and... and... after two months of neglect, I resurrected my Mini-Cooper into action! Oh, what joy, what hitherto unforetold realms of sheer pleasure... vroom, vroom...

PS. I am aware that I sound rather sexist with all the words 'guy', 'he', 'his' and 'him' peppered all over the above paragraphs. I consider it presumptious to speak on behalf of the other gender, for I can never truly claim to fathom their state of mind and heart. Nonetheless, feel free to substitute the words with 'gal, 'she', 'hers' and 'her', respectively.

No comments: