Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Autism surfacing?

The acute lack of social interaction my my life in recent years is starting to take its toll on my oral communication and overall social skills. Here are some examples which clearly warrant sounding the alarm bells for remedial action:
  1. I find myself constantly unable to keep up with group conversations, even when the "group" really comprises of only three persons. A close friend actually caught me 'zoning out' on several occasions - for which I sincerely apologise.
  2. I have my manager deriding me for my propensity to write long e-mails instead of just picking up the telephone and talking. I gravitate towards 'memo culture' simply because I find that I am able to arrange my thoughts more coherently, rather than off-the-cuff and disorganised sentences
  3. My China supplier has started finding my Mandarin accent awkward and incomprehensible, and has politely suggested that all future communications be done via e-mail (in Chinese, of course). The irony is, I have actually preferred that arrangement since Day #1, as I am not fluent in the spoken language at all.
  4. My Chinese reading skills have improved significantly, but my pronunciation has not moved a dent. In other words, the characters are degenerating into nothing more than hieroglyphs in my mind.
  5. I find instrumental music more alluring than those with lyrics.
  6. I am no longer able to sustain small talk with total strangers for more than 10 minutes, often finding my eyes darting around for more amusing distractions - unless the topic of conversation is something I can truly relate to.
Perhaps somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain is an autistic gene that has been lying dormant for years, just waiting to creep out at the moment I am entering mid-life crisis.

No comments: